Whether you are new to the blog or an old fan from back in the day, I’d like to welcome you to Pearls + Girls! I am so excited to kick off my new series, This One’s For The Girls, where I will be sharing what’s happening in my life + my kitchen. With no further ado, let’s get rolling (baking pun intended)! 😉
What are we doing?
During this unique time of quarantine and social distancing my girls have been bit by the crafting bug! While they have always been extremely creative, I admit arts and crafts are NOT my strength. Thank goodness for the internet because I have found a plethora of projects to keep them busy! Here are a few of their favorite online tutorials:
What about conservation?
We are gearing up to start our container garden! This year we are growing basil, thyme, flat leaf parsley, peppers, tomatoes and green beans. Even though we live in the city, we have a backyard composter to recycle those fruit and veggie scraps year round. We are excited to see how our compost is brewing and get planting after Mother’s Day!
What are we listening to?
Last spring my budding violinist, Lou, had the opportunity to attend the sold out concert featuring Paganini’s ‘ll Cannone’ violin. Recently the Columbus Symphony decided to share an encore performance!
Where are we traveling?
Is this a trick question? 😉 The correct answer is….NOWHERE! However, we did travel to one of our favorite cities, San Francisco, to celebrate Mr. Pearls + Girls birthday last winter. Here’s a list of our top FIVE things to do in this iconic city:
- Get a transit pass! You can use it to ride the cable car or the bus all over the city. Our favorite FREE places to explore are Union Square, Fisherman’s Wharf, The Painted Ladies & Golden Gate Park!
- Wander through the Japanese Tea Garden! There is even an open air tea house serving food and a lovely selection of tea, including Mr. Pearls + Girls personal favorite, Hojicha.
- Take a tour of San Francisco Bay! There are several boat lines offering tours that include a ride under the Golden Gate Bridge and a loop around Alcatraz Island. You can enjoy being chased by the seagulls while viewing an awe inspiring city skyline as well as the quaint fishing village of Sausalito on the opposite bluff.
- Check out the boats at the historic Maritime Museum on Hyde Street Pier! The craftsmanship is truly fascinating, and feeling the sway of the water while breathing the smell of the aged wood elevates the experience. Not all ships are open to board, so be sure to get the scoop on the daily schedule at the ticket counter.
- Visit the sea lions at Pier 39! My daughter, Bug, captured a hilarious video featuring a few of these goofy pinnipeds ‘sumo wrestling’!!! (her words, not mine, ha!) 2020 marks the 30th year the California sea lions have gathered at the pier, and you can check out their antics on the livestream camera!
What is this month’s theme?
May’s recipe theme is (Almost) From Scratch. Since we are spending an unprecedented amount of time at home, baking has been placed at the forefront of our weekly menu planning. As much as I love to bake from scratch, frankly I’m a bit tired of all. the. dishes. Seriously, there are only four people living in my house, what is going on?!?! So, to take the pressure of myself (and my dishwasher) I am planning to share recipes with at least one pre-made component (i.e. store bought crust, canned fruit, etc.) These recipes will require minimum prep, but deliver maximum flavor! Look for the first NEW recipe to hit the blog on Monday, May 11th!
Here’s a slightly tweaked (Almost) From Scratch recipe from the original Pearls + Girls blog archives in May 2014. Enjoy, foodie friends!