What are we doing?
Whew! We spent more time in our backyard in the last three months than the last three years! While we feel lucky to have a dedicated outdoor space, the excitement for backyard fun has dwindled a bit. Here are a few boredom busters I am using to turn those stay at home frowns upside down:
- Water beads are an early childhood favorite rediscovered! Bloom them in as big or small a container as you like, just add 1 TBSP of beads per gallon of water. Toss in a few toys and a strainer or two….the kiddos will be busy on the patio or porch for HOURS. Rainy day? You can bloom them in the bathtub!
- Backyard scavenger hunt for the win! Hide some outdoor toys (i.e. squirt guns, bubbles, sidewalk chalk) for a fun surprise at the end!
- Cool off with some water balloons! These are ready to throw in a flash!
- Add a tent or clubhouse! This was the best outdoor purchase we made last summer, and it’s still in amazing shape a year later. Bonus: the weight limit is 600 lbs, so parents get to hang out, too!
- Mix up mealtime with dinner for breakfast, dessert for lunch + breakfast for dinner! Start the morning by grilling chicken or steak + homemade biscuits and fruit in the garden, build your own ice cream sundaes to enjoy by the pool or sprinkler (close proximity is ideal for post sundae clean up) 😉 + cook some breakfast tin foil packets over a backyard campfire.
What about conservation?
We planted our garden! We are using some raised garden beds in combination with a few pots. I love the drainage tap because any surplus water can to be reused with other plants. The height is perfect for our small, urban garden, and since they are on legs it will be easy to take them along with us when we move! Personalized garden markers made from spoons will be adorning our plants this season, and they are so fun to make! Be sure to use a non-washable paint, such as acrylic, so they will be suitable for outdoor use.
What are we listening to?
A peek at a few songs on our 2020 summer playlist:
Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves
Roar by Katy Perry
The Other Side by Justin Timberlake and SZA
The Greatest Showman Medley by Lindsey Stirling
We Got the Beat by Debby Ryan
Brave Souls by Cozi Zuehlsdorff
Dreamer by Black Violin
Don’t You Worry Bout a Thing by Incognito
Evermore by Josh Groban
Happy by Pharrell Williams
Where are we traveling?
The girls made a bucket list of all the places they are looking forward to visiting (some soon….some NOT so soon). 😉 Paris and Lake Michigan topped the list….what can I say, they have good taste! 😀
What are we eating?
As I’m sure you’ve noticed, Pearls + Girls has been very quiet the last few weeks. Sharing recipes and tips for summer fun felt insignificant while police brutality and the economic impact of COVID-19 were taking center stage in our minds and hearts. I made a conscious decision to hit the pause button on my blog because my family, like so many others, needed this time to reflect and participate in meaningful conversations about how to respond respectfully and thoughtfully regarding our global community efforts.
Over the next few weeks I will be sharing the first Kids Cooking Club post! In the meantime, please enjoy these (Almost) From Scratch Brownie S’more Trifles, a twist on a Pearls + Girls original recipe for S’more Cookiewiches shared in July 2014.
Take care of yourselves and enjoy, foodie friends!