I love having cookie dough in my freezer! It’s so easy to whip up fresh from the oven treats, like this Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Shortbread, any day of the week!
Some days you just NEED a cookie. Today was one of those days for me…..
I woke up to find that my husband forgot to take out the trash before work. Normally this wouldn’t be a huge deal, but because I woke up with a headache I was sufficiently annoyed by it. So I did what every sweet, understanding wife would do…..I took a picture of the overflowing trashcan and texted it to him with an angry face emoji. 😛
I proceeded to toss the trash in the garage (our garage door is currently broken, and there was no way I was taking the trash out the front door in my pjs).
So I popped an ibuprofen tab for my headache and announced to the kids, “We’re going to the pool!” I actually have not attempted a trip to the pool with the girls by myself yet, and while it slightly terrifies me to be outnumbered by my kids in a water filled environment with a meltdown prone 5 year old in tow, I was going to take the challenge head on.
So we donned our bathing suits, lathered on sunscreen, and proceeded to spend our sunny afternoon languishing in the cool, refreshing pool like people do on hot summer days.
Oh, how I wish that was how the day had transpired…..
The truth is, when we left to go to the pool it was sunny. When we arrived at the pool about 7 1/2 minutes later it was NOT sunny. Everyone was getting out of the pool and a huge storm cloud was approaching in the distance. You see, I had checked the weather in the morning (partly cloudy, high of 89 degrees), but I neglected to click on the ‘hour by hour’ forecast, which would have shown me that a pop up thunderstorm would shatter my kids’ dreams of floating (aka hanging on for dear life) on an inner tube in the lazy river for an undisclosed amount of time (aka until Mom decides her pruny fingers are tired of holding two squirming kids on said inner tube).
Needless to say tears ensued, we drove home in a massive downpour and proceeded to trapse through the rain to get in the house (remember, garage door is broken) past all our retiree neighbors enjoying the storm from their front porches, probably wondering what the heck we are doing running around in our bathing suits in a rainstorm…..
Oh, and I didn’t bring the ‘fancy’ car key to the pool, so I had to run down the driveway in the rain again (in my bathing suit) to manually lock my car door.
Like I said, I could really use a cookie right about now…. 😉
Recipe adapted from Back in the Day Bakery
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together butter, brown sugar, salt and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 7 minutes, stopping periodically to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Tip: If you think you've mixed it enough, mix it another minute! It's really important to make sure the brown sugar is completely incorporated.
- Add half the flour, mix on low until just combined.
- Add the remaining flour, mix on low until just combined, then finish mixing by hand with a spatula. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix on low until just combined.
- Divide dough in half, shaping it into two 7 inch logs.
- Wrap each log in wax paper and refrigerate for 4 hours (you could also freeze the dough, just slip the wax paper wrapped logs into freezer bags and be sure to bake them within the next month or so).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice each log into 24 pieces.
- Bake about one inch apart on a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet for 10 to 12 minutes (edges should be lightly browned).
- Allow to rest on the cookie sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.