Freshly popped popcorn dusted with cocoa powder + cinnamon and drizzled with melted chocolate makes this Mexican Chocolate Popcorn the perfect twist on a classic movie night snack!
My family can toss back a serious amount of popcorn on movie night. So what’s our favorite topping? It’s definitely not a unanimous vote!
My husband loves to sprinkle his popcorn with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a few dashes of hot sauce.
My oldest daughter likes hers with melted butter, salt and copious amounts of pepper.
My youngest daughter likes her popcorn with melted butter and salt (just like her mama).
Just when everyone thought their favorite popcorn topping couldn’t be beat, I whipped up this Mexican chocolate inspired twist with melted butter, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt. It made last week’s movie night just a teensy bit sweeter.
- 2 TBSP granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the freshly popped popcorn to a large bowl and drizzle with melted butter.
- Sprinkle the sugar mixture on top and toss to coat.
- Spread the popcorn on two cookie sheets lined with parchment or wax paper.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a small saucepan over low heat OR in the microwave.
- Transfer melted chocolate to a piping bag or a plastic sandwich bag.
- Snip the tip of the piping bag or one corner of the sandwich bag and drizzle generously over the popcorn.