Anyway you want it, that’s the way you need it!!! These Double Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes are great ‘naked’ but they are even better with a drizzle of chocolate ganache OR a smear of cream cheese frosting.
It’s been almost a month since I posted my last recipe, but that doesn’t mean this girl hasn’t been baking! I’ve been hanging around in the Pearls + Girls archives with a few loaves of bread, a couple dozen cookies and even a pie! Let’s be honest, even a food blogger enjoys going back to basics and whipping up a tried and true recipe from time to time.
Not to brag (or burst into tears) but I’m about to celebrate a milestone birthday in a few days! Seriously, I’m trying to come to grips with it, so writing it down helps
A LOT. 😉 So what’s a girl to do when she’s feeling a little blue?!? Throw the baking rule book out the window and have it all, that’s what! 🙂 That means not one, not two, but three ways to enjoy these delicious double chocolate zucchini cupcakes!!! I’m servin’ em’ up ‘naked,’ drizzled with decadent, rich chocolate ganache AND smeared with too good to be true cream cheese frosting. Any way you want it, that’s the way you need it, and let me tell ya, I NEED more chocolate cake in my life. Like NOW.
- 11/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 TBSP cocoa powder, sifted for lumps
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 3 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
- 2 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the melted butter, sugar, yogurt, egg, vanilla and grated zucchini.
- Fold in the dry ingredients with a spatula until just combined.
- Then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill cupcake liners about halfway full and bake for 15 - 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cupcake comes out clean.
- Enjoy immediately or allow to cool completely before topping with chocolate ganache or cream cheese frosting.
- Beat butter for one minute on medium speed with a mixer fitted with a large mixing bowl and a whisk attachment. You could also use a hand mixer with double beaters.
- Add cream cheese, beat mixture on medium speed for an additional minute.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar, along with the milk and vanilla, and beat on low speed until incorporated.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar, incorporate on low speed.
- Frost cupcakes using an offset spatula or butter knife.
- In a small saucepan, melt three ounces of chopped chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in the butter until smooth, then whisk in the whipping cream until just combined.
- Cool slightly, then spread evenly on cooled cupcakes.
Cupcake recipe adapted from here.