You need this cinnamon quick bread in your life (kitchen, mouth, tummy, etc.)!!! No mixer required AND it takes only one hour from start to finish.
Hello gorgeous weekend!!! Seriously, I cannot remember the last time we have had consecutive days of sunshine, I’m pretty sure it was last October. In other words, basically a lifetime ago. 😉 I had every intention of getting outside to play with my girls and enjoying a glass of lemonade on my sun drenched patio (yay). I also needed to pull some weeds from my neglected flower beds before we lay a bazillion bags of mulch tomorrow (not so yay).
Even though I spent my entire afternoon outside, I still had time to whip up something yummy for our Sunday morning breakfast. I literally pulled this bread together AND typed up the recipe while the hubby was heating up the grill for our bbq chicken dinner tonight. It’s called a ‘quick’ bread for a reason, people! 😉
This bread is made with white whole wheat flour, which is a great way to sneak in some fiber without your kids (or hubby) having any idea you just added a healthy twist to their favorite breakfast treat. The buttermilk is the secret ingredient that keeps this bread so moist. I don’t like to bake with highly processed canola and vegetable oil, so using buttermilk is a great alternative to get a wonderful texture in your baked goods. P.S. This bread freezes really well, so by all means double the recipe and save some for later! Enjoy! 🙂
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (I use the King Arthur brand)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the buttermilk, beaten eggs and melted butter.
- Mix together with a spatula until just combined.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan.
- Make the cinnamon swirl in a small bowl by stirring together the melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour cinnamon swirl mixture down the center of the bread dough lengthwise.
- Use a butter knife to swirl it into the dough.
- Bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes, then run a butter knife around the edges and transfer to a cutting board.
- Slice bread with serrated knife and serve warm or at room temperature. ** Usually I recommend waiting to cut bread until it has cooled a bit, but I cut this bread immediately and it sliced beautifully.