Not only is the from scratch lime curd made with WHOLE eggs, but these bite-size lime tartlets have only FIVE ingredients!!!
It’s finally starting to feel like spring around here! Fresh air and sunshine have me squealing for joy, and I think our snowy, cold winter is finally behind us in the Midwest. I can even deal with a few April showers if I know those May flowers are only a mere two weeks away!!
This recent change in the weather has inspired me to get in the kitchen and make some new desserts! Even though the lime curd is made from scratch, it doesn’t take much time, or many ingredients, to prepare. Which is good, because I want to eat a yummy dessert AND have time to get outside and enjoy all that spring has to offer! 🙂
Not only is the lime curd made with whole eggs (no wasted egg whites, my friends), but it’s a cinch to whip up. All you need is five minutes and a bit of elbow grease!! Fold in some freshly whipped cream, dollop it in a mini phyllo cup, and you’ve got a bite size dessert perfect for a busy weeknight OR leisurely weekend entertaining. Enjoy!
- Juice and zest of one lime
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 - 1.9 oz. packages frozen mini phyllo shells (about 30 shells)
- Zest the lime to use as a garnish. You can finely grate it or peel off the rind and slice it thinly. (optional)
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, whisk together the lime juice, eggs and sugar. Continue whisking for about 4 - 5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain lime curd through a fine mesh sieve to make sure the mixture is completely smooth.
- Transfer lime curd to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 15 minutes or in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or a hand mixer with double beaters, whip the cream to stiff peaks, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the chilled lime curd from the freezer or refrigerator.
- Fold in the whipped cream with a spatula.
- Using a piping bag fitted with a star tip (or a gallon ziplock bag with a snipped corner) pipe the lime curd mixture into the phyllo cups.
- Top with a bit of lime zest. (optional)
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.