I turned my favorite brownie recipe into brownie brittle! Then I bumped it up a notch by adding chopped pistachios and dark chocolate chips. PERFECTION!
What started out as a challenge to improve upon the stale, tasteless store bought brownie brittle purchased in a moment of weakness just became one of my favorite recipes!!! Here’s why:
1. This recipe is really easy to make!
2. The result is anything but stale and tasteless!
3. You could totally mix it up with different nuts and chocolate!
I had planned to make this brownie brittle with a Valentine’s Day twist using pink, red and white M&Ms, but apparently everyone else planned ahead and bought their Valentine candy over the weekend….leaving the store shelves practically barren. BOO. Since I had my kids with me AND I had kinda promised them a chocolate treat I ended up buying Cadbury eggs. I know. Can’t find any Valentine chocolate, but DON”T FEAR, Easter candy will come to rescue! In February. Sigh. So I ended up topping the brittle with chopped pistachios and dark chocolate chips. Honestly, I think this combo kicks Valentine M&Ms butt any day. 😀 Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup 60% dark chocolate chips, divided (I use the Ghirardelli brand)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 TBSP cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder (optional)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or buttered aluminum foil (use the heavy duty non-stick foil if possible. No point in making brownie brittle if it's stuck to the pan!)
- In a large microwave safe bowl melt the butter and 1/2 cup chocolate chips (reserve other 1/2 cup).
- Add the sugar, egg whites, cocoa powder, espresso powder, flour, salt and baking soda.
- Mix together with a spatula until just combined.
- Using an off set spatula or butter knife sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or greased with melted butter, spread the mixture as thin as possible within one inch of the edges of the pan. Don't spread all the way to the edges, it will expand as it bakes!
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, lightly score into pieces (don't cut all the way through) with a pizza wheel or sharp knife.
- Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips and pistachios on top of the brittle. Press lightly into the brownie brittle.
- Bake for another 10 minutes, then allow to cool to room temperature.
- Break into pieces and enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container.