I just completed my first week of Whole 30! Phew, only 22 more days to go….
Get my menu plan for this week and check out some of the photos of
my favorite recipes from last week’s menu!
I want a t-shirt that says, “I survived 3.22229 hours on Whole 30!” Yep, I literally was counting down the hours until my next meal. As a person who really enjoys eating fruits and veggies, I can tell you, this is MUCH harder than I thought it would be.
On the first two days I did really, really well. I followed my menu and drank lots of water.
Photo: Tasty Kitchen
Then on day #3 I was STARVING! Even after eating my dinner of steak, mushrooms and broccoli AND polishing off a banana with a glass of almond milk my tummy was still growling.
Then on day #5 I cheated. I ate a fish sandwich from McDonalds and even sneaked a few of my daughter’s fries. Bad mommy. But I’m only human, so I’m moving on!
Photo: Our Paleo Life
A few things I discovered during my first week:
1. Drink lots of water. It helps curb the hunger.
2. Eat lots of veggies. I actually ended up having 1-2 additional snacks/day, but they were veggies (ex. carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucumber slices and raw green beans).
3. Don’t fixate on what you can’t have. When the going got rough I slathered a banana with almond butter, sprinkled it with unsweetened coconut and ate it very slowly, savoring each bite. I’m usually a pretty fast eater (aren’t all moms?!?!), so taking my time while eating helped me to feel more satisfied.
4. Get creative! I included a wide variety of proteins/veggies/fruits in our menu plan, which helped me look forward to eating each meal.
If you missed the Banana Almond Pancakes from last week, go check out my recipe!
Here’s my menu plan for next week. I included a few links to recipes I am trying for the first time. I did plan 7 dinners to keep things interesting, but I plan to repeat some breakfast/snack options and eat some leftovers for lunch.
Scrambled eggs/bacon/sliced tomatoes
Monkey Salad (sliced bananas, blueberries, almond butter and coconut flakes)
Eggs over easy/sweet potato hash/grapefruit
Cinnamon Apple Porridge
Guacamole Deviled Eggs/raspberries
Turkey Wrap with Tomato and Chopped Olives/apple
Tuna Salad Lettuce Wrap/melon slices
Spinach, Bacon, and Strawberry Salad
Grilled Sausage with Hot Mustard/Roasted Potatoes/Broccoli (dinner leftovers)
Rotisserie Chicken with Tomato, Avocado, Cashew and Snap Pea Salad
Handful of pecans/carrot sticks
Mango Cubes/handful of cashews
Coconut Chia Seed Pudding/blueberries
‘No Bean’ Hummus with Carrot Sticks and Cucumber ‘Chips’
Guacamole with Cucumber ‘Chips’
Grilled Sausage with Hot Mustard/Roasted Potatoes/Broccoli
Roasted Vegetable Soup with Basil Chimichurri and Crumbled Bacon
* I used the Basil Chimichurri Sauce from THIS recipe
Steak, Bok Choy and Red Pepper Stir Fry with Spaghetti Squash
Almond Crusted Chicken with Sauteed Spinach, Red Onion and Kale
Roasted Salmon/Garlic Mashed Potatoes/Green Beans
Kale and Spinach Salad with Bacon, Roasted Beets, Oranges and Pecans
Sea Scallops with Zucchini Noodles tossed with Sun Dried Tomato Sauce