A truly decadent pie, but in single serving portions! All the yumminess, (almost) none of the guilt. 😉
In an effort to be more efficient and organized, we took down our Christmas tree last weekend. Then we had the most gorgeous snowfall yesterday, and I found myself wishing I could gaze at my tree, framed in a beautiful winter wonderland through my front room window. First time EVER that being more efficient and organized turned out to be a major bummer!
I seriously needed a bit of chocolate to cheer me up, and these Mississippi Mud Parfaits did the trick! Even though it’s a mostly from scratch recipe, it really is fairly simple to make. I whipped up a quick chocolate pudding on the stove, refrigerated it for a few hours, folded in some freshly whipped cream, and crushed up some chocolate sandwich cookies. Served in a stemless wine glass, a couple bites of this dessert is all you need for your daily chocolate fix. Until tomorrow that is…. Enjoy! 🙂
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 TBSP powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 sleeve chocolate sandwich cookies, crumbled
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, bring the milk to a simmer.
- In a bowl whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the warm milk and whisk constantly until the mixture thickens, about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl and press a layer of plastic wrap directly onto the pudding (to keep it from forming a skin).
- Refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the cream to soft peaks.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla, mix to incorporate.
- Fold half the whipped cream into the pudding until it is incorporated.
- Layer the pudding, reserved whipped cream and cookie crumbles in your serving dishes (I used stemless wine glasses).
- Serve immediately or store in refrigerator until ready to serve.