You know what goes great with champagne? Cookies!
What are you looking forward to in 2015? We are hoping to FINALLY make the move to a family friendly neighborhood. There’s nothing like putting your house on the market to make you feel like you live like a slob! I can’t remember the last time I cleaned the baseboards, dusted the blinds or scrubbed the grout lines in my bathroom. Ewww, maybe I shouldn’t be talking about bathroom grout before giving you a recipe. My bad. 😉
Anyway, the point is, all this cleaning is making me crave a cocktail! Oh, and a cookie! Since champagne is the beverage of choice for ringing in the New Year, why not pair it with a citrus cookie? Yum, makes me think of mimosas! A crispy sugar cookie studded with freshly grated orange zest, a glass of bubbly and watching the ball drop with Ryan Seacrest on tv?!?! My New Year’s is complete! Happy 2015!!! 🙂
Orange Scented Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup ( 1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 TBSP orange zest, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and 1 TBSP orange zest and mix until combined.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Chill dough in the refrigerator for one hour.
- In a small bowl, add 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon orange zest. Press the mixture with the back of a spoon until well mixed.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in orange scented sugar.
- Place dough balls on a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet (I did six cookies per sheet).
- Press with the palm of your hand to flatten slightly.
- Bake 10 - 12 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.