Need a great appetizer for the holidays? Look no further than my Spicy Stuffed Mushrooms! This recipe has everything you love: spicy Italian sausage, blue cheese, panko bread crumbs, garlic and parsley with a hint of white wine. YUM!
I usually provide desserts for our holiday get togethers, but a few years ago I branched out with these stuffed mushrooms for a Thanksgiving appetizer, and everyone loved them. Next thing I knew I was making them for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Of course, I can’t imagine that any carnivore would not enjoy these spicy stuffed mushrooms, they really are THAT good! I don’t skimp on the filling (as you can clearly see) and I let it sit in the fridge overnight so the flavors can ‘merry’ (no holiday pun intended hehe). Who doesn’t love a holiday appetizer you can prepare in advance?!?! Enjoy! 🙂
These stuffed mushrooms are a great make ahead appetizer! They can be assembled the day before and stored in the refrigerator, just add a few minutes to the cooking time.
- 1 link spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/2 link sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 24 white mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 TBSP flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Cook sausage in a skillet over medium high heat until crumbled and cooked through.
- Add to a large mixing bowl with the garlic, wine, blue cheese, bread crumbs and parsley.
- Refrigerate the mixture for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Arrange mushroom caps with the stem cavity facing up on a greased baking sheet.
- Drizzle mushrooms with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Remove filling from the refrigerator and using a tablespoon or medium cookie scoop, form into balls.
- Top each mushroom cap with the filling, pressing down slightly.
- Sprinkle tops with panko bread crumbs and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes.