Want to impress your friends and family with your baking skills this holiday season? Make homemade crackers to serve with appetizers or drinks!
I think some of the most impressive dishes can be the most simple. Anyone can go to the store and pick up a box of crackers, but what better time than the holidays to pull out the big guns and impress with some delicious homemade crackers?!?! The reason I love baking from scratch is because I get to control the quality and quantity of the ingredients. Topping these crackers with copious amounts of freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese bakes in the amazing nutty, salty flavor. You just can’t get this kind of flavor from a store bought cracker! Enjoy! 🙂
- 2 cups all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 TBSP olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the water and olive oil.
- Using a spatula bring the dough together, then use your hands to form it into a log.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Unwrap dough and place on a floured surface.
- Cut dough into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Roll each piece as thin as possible.
- Place on a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until golden brown, about 5 - 7 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for one minute, then transfer to a cooling rack.