Is September too early to share pumpkin recipes? I figure once the leaves start to fall and the stores are decked out in Halloween AND Christmas decor then it should be perfectly acceptable, right?!?! I tend to bake with canned pumpkin year round, slipping it into breads and pancakes occasionally. Straight up pumpkin loaf is really a staple for breakfast and snack time at our house. That said, it feels somewhat strange to bake bread in a pumpkin shaped pan in March. 😉
Since this classic pumpkin loaf is an ‘every day’ baked good, I tried to up the nutritional value a bit. I swapped out the sugar for maple syrup and added some ground flaxseeds. It’s pretty much standard procedure at our house to use a combination of all-purpose flour and white whole wheat flour. If you are looking to make the switch to whole wheat flour, I highly recommend King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour. The addition will make your baked goods slightly more dense, but won’t affect the texture much. Enjoy! 🙂
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour (I use the King Arthur brand)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 TBSP ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup PURE maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a medium bowl whisk together both flours, flaxseeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together maple syrup, melted butter, eggs, pumpkin puree and vanilla.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until just incorporated. Batter will be quite thick.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and spoon batter evenly into the pan. Tap the pan on the counter a few times (to get out the air bubbles).
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then run a butter knife around the edges and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.