I’ve had this recipe in my back pocket for awhile. By back pocket I mean on my recipe ‘bucket list.’ By ‘bucket list’ I mean a box in my den filled with jagged edged scraps of paper ripped from magazines or hastily printed off the Internet in the middle of the
afternoon night when I should be cleaning, doing dishes, folding laundry, paying bills sleeping.
Atlantic Beach Pie is a signature dessert along the Eastern coast. A restaurant in North Carolina gave the pie it’s monniker, but most folks just call it lemon pie. I love discovering new regional recipes, then putting a twist on them. It NEVER occurred to me to use saltine crackers in a pie crust. The Midwest is all about graham cracker crusts and flaky pie dough. Not everyone would try to elevate a pie with a salty, crispy crust, tangy lemon filling and creamy whipped cream, but since I’m a dessert ADDICT, I’m going to give it my best shot. 🙂
How about some nutty pecans in the crust? I love to add nuts to my baked goods, but if you are allergic or don’t care for them, by all means omit them. Traditionally this pie is made with unsweetened whipped cream, but I MAY have added a bit of powdered sugar and vanilla. Crunchy, salty, tangy, creamy and sweet all in one bite? Yes, please!!! Enjoy! 🙂
- 3/4 sleeve saltine crackers (30 crackers), crumbled
- 1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 3 TBSP granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 - 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 TBSP powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sea salt and lemon slices (for garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine crackers, pecans and sugar.
- Using your fingers, smush the butter into the cracker mixture until well combined.
- Press into an 8-inch pie plate.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly while you make the filling.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, egg yolks and lemon juice.
- Pour filling into crust and bake for 20 minutes or until the filling is set and the crust is golden brown.
- Cool at room temperature for one hour.
- Chill uncovered in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or a hand mixer with double beaters, whip the cream, powdered sugar and vanilla to stiff peaks, about 4 minutes.
- Spoon whipped cream on top of the chilled pie.
- Garnish with lemon slices.
- Sprinkle each slice with a pinch of sea salt just before serving.
Like this recipe? Be sure to check out my Pink Lemonade Pie, a refreshing NO BAKE summer treat!