I have been itching to get out of town. We decided to wait ‘just one more year’ to tackle a BIG vacation with the girls, so I’ve been making a list of fun activities to do close to home. Even in Ohio, it’s only a day trip away….
As you can imagine, a trip to the beach can leave you with a rumbly tummy! All that digging and swimming works up quite an appetite! Luckily, I packed a yummy snack to curb those late afternoon munchies. Made with whole wheat flour and packed with fresh raspberries, these muffins are filled with fiber, vitamins, and of course, flavor! The crumb topping adds a little sweet crunch that offsets the tart raspberries perfectly. Whether you are beach bumming or channel surfing, these muffins are a tasty weekend treat. Enjoy! 🙂
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 TBSP sugar
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (I use the King Arthur brand)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Zest of lemon
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a muffin tin with muffin wrappers or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- To prepare the crumb topping, whisk together the 1/2 cup flour and four tablespoons sugar in a large bowl. Use your fingers to smush the butter cubes into the dry mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. You could also use a pastry cutter or give it a quick whirl in the food processor. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer with double beaters, cream together the butter and sugar for 3 minutes.
- Add lemon zest and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add the eggs one at a time, incorporating the first egg before adding the second egg.
- Add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Fold the raspberries into the batter with a spatula.
- Fill each muffin cup about halfway full.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the muffins.
- Bake for 25 - 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.