So back in May I told you my family was planning to participate in the Great American Backyard Camp Out. We did. The next logical question is….”So, how’d it go?!?!” Well, let’s just say…..IT WENT.
I camped with two kiddos under the age of five in the wake of a massive thunderstorm. Consequently, I also camped with wet firewood AND a leaky tent (from my husband’s Boy Scout days, in other words, an OLD TENT). We had bug bites, wet clothes, muddy shoes, chocolate and marshmallow smeared faces and hands, and to top it off, someone stepped in a stray pile of dog poop. YUCK! My oldest daughter asked to change her clothes THREE times (I only honored one clothing change, after all, we were CAMPING). When the wet firewood wouldn’t light and the muddy shoes made their way into the leaky tent, I was ready to throw in the towel.
THEN…..we caught three lightning bugs (aka ‘blinkers’) in a jar, and my toddler was entertained for TEN ENTIRE MINUTES. If you have a toddler, you understand what a big deal this is!!! We finally got the campfire started, and the girls made shadow puppets on the fence. We sat around the campfire, sang Christmas carols (note to self: teach them to sing Kumbaya and 99 Bottle of Beer on the Wall), toasted marshmallows, looked at the stars and ultimately…….DID NOT sleep in the leaky tent. When it was all said and done, my oldest daughter hugged me and said, “Mommy, I love camping!” I lied and told her, “Me too, sweetie!” 🙂
Yes, I realize I did not talk about this recipe AT ALL yet. Folks, it’s a chocolate cookie with shards of graham crackers sandwiching ooey, gooey marshmallows. In other words, it speaks for itself. ENJOY! 🙂
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder, measured then sifted
- 2 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use the Ghirardelli brand)
- 8 graham crackers, broken into shards
- 1 pkg. marshmallows or one jar marshmallow creme
- Whisk together flour, sifted cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside. Using a mixing bowl with a paddle attachment on a stand mixer, cream butter, sugar and brown sugar. Mix on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape down the bowl and add eggs one at a time, mixing in each egg before adding the next.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the flour mixture, and mix on low speed until the dough comes together, about 30 seconds. Don’t overmix!
- Add chocolate chips and mix on low speed for 5 seconds.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon of dough at a time and form into balls with your hands.
- Place dough balls on the baking sheet, spacing slightly, and flatten with the palm of your hand to make small disks.
- Push four or five graham cracker shards into each disk.
- Place baking sheet in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place eight disks on a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly on the baking sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Repeat with remaining cookie dough disks.
- Roast marshmallows and sandwich between two cookies.
- OR melt marshmallows in a large bowl in the microwave, fill a piping bag, and neatly pipe the marshmallow creme into the center of each cookie. Torch edges with a kitchen torch.
- OR just buy a jar of marshmallow creme, slap it on with a knife and call it good enough.
- Any way you do it, it will be DELICIOUS!