So I’m kind of proud of this recipe! Not that I’m not usually proud of my recipes, but when I hide stuff in food and my kids actually eat it, I pat myself on the back and say, “That’s right, mama, you’re a smoothie makin’, muffin bakin’, smooth operatin’ lady!”
Banana Bread is pretty popular at my house, it’s easy to make, and everyone loves it! These muffins start with my basic banana bread recipe, but I changed it up a bit to represent my favorite smoothie combo, banana + pineapple. You can dice the pineapple and fold it into the muffin batter, but I decided to puree it, because I have one child that doesn’t prefer chunky muffins. The result? A portable breakfast on the go or quick snack that is nutritious and delicious! Enjoy! 🙂
This muffin recipe can be made with pureed or diced pineapple. You could also substitute brown sugar for the pure maple syrup.
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup PURE maple syrup
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 cups banana puree (about 4 large overripe bananas)
- 1/4 cup fresh pinapple, finely diced or pureed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Puree your bananas (and pineapple if you choose to puree it) in a food processor until smooth, or mash with a fork in a bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit..
- Line a muffin tin with muffin wrappers.
- Whisk together both flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a large mixing bowl and a wooden spoon or spatula, combine the maple syrup and oil. Add the banana and pineapple puree or mashed bananas, egg and vanilla.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until combined.
- Fold in diced pinapple if you did not puree it.
- Pour batter into muffin tin, filling about halfway full.
- Bake for 20 - 22 minutes for regular sized muffins, 28 - 30 minutes for jumbo muffins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.