Confession: I hate to cook in the summer. For dinner last week we ate grilled steak and chicken with veggie kabobs and baked potatoes (used the leftover meat on salad the next night), tuna sandwiches on whole wheat with carrots and celery, carryout ham and mushroom pizza and brie and proscuitto sandwiches on sourdough bread with fresh green beans. The only time I turned on the oven was to make baked potatoes, which means the effort I put into it was……turning on the oven!
So I decided to fire up my skillet to make a quick and easy dinner, Shrimp & Veggie Stir Fry. I know some people like to make a really complicated sauce for their stir fry…..not me, just teriyaki sauce, soy sauce and garlic. I don’t care for ginger, but feel free to grate a knob in if it’s your style. Slice up some veggies, saute a few shrimp, pop some brown rice in the microwave, and you’re DONE! Simple, healthy and delicious! Enjoy! 🙂
This dish comes together really quickly and makes a complete meal served with a side of brown rice. You could easily swap out the shrimp for chicken or tofu.
- 1 lb shimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 bell peppers, red, yellow or green, sliced thinly
- 3 carrots, sliced thinly
- 4 scallions, green and white parts chopped
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen or 1-14.5 oz. can baby corn, drained
- 1/2 cup snow peas or sugar snap peas
- 2 TBSP teriyaki sauce
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Sesame oil, for sauteing
- Chow mein noodles, for garnish
- In a large skillet or wok over medium high heat, saute the chopped veggies in a few teaspoons of sesame oil for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Pour veggies into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add a few more teaspoons of sesame oil and saute the shrimp for about 3 minutes, or until pink.
- Add back the veggies to the skillet.
- Add the teriyaki sauce, soy sauce and garlic.
- Saute for another minute or so.
- Serve over brown rice.
Like this recipe?
Check out another easy seafood dish, Mustard Roasted Salmon with Summer Corn Salad