Coconut Apricot Cake {Gluten Free}

I’ve been sharing gluten free desserts on my blog for a few weeks now, and I’ve come to a few conclusions:

1.  Baking with almond and coconut flour is expensive.

2.  Baked goods containing almond and coconut flour are delicious.

3.  Cookies made with almond flour are really crispy the first day, but they lose their crispness on the second day.

4.  Muffins and cakes made with coconut flour have a fabulous moist crumb the first day, but they become soggy on the second day.

5.  These gluten free cookies, muffins and cakes didn’t last past the second day in my house.  FYI, we like to eat!!!

Gluten Free Coconut Apricot Cake ~ Pearls + Girls

This Coconut Apricot Cake was no exception, in fact, it was a mere stone’s throw away from an ideal dessert.  Enjoyed fresh from the oven with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, it was one of the best fruit desserts I ever tasted, however, on day two it was a bit soggy.  This cake makes about 6 – 8 servings, so if you served it for a crowd it would be a show stopper!  But I wouldn’t recommend baking it ahead of time.  Fresh, diced apricots folded into coconut flour batter and baked until golden brown, it makes for a stunning summer dessert.  This cake is not overly sweet, but the apricot flavor really shines through.

Coconut Apricot Cake ~ Pearls + Girls

I take my hat off to anyone who MUST bake gluten free, but I have to admit, xantham gum and tapioca powder aren’t in my baking future.  I struggled to find gluten free recipes with familiar ingredients, and I was frustrated to find specialty flours were not available in my local grocery store.  Ultimately, I’ve decided I am an all purpose flour, unsalted butter, white + brown sugar baker, and I love every single bite! 😀

Coconut Apricot Cake

Yield: 6 - 8 servings

This cake is gluten free. For best taste and texture, I recommend baking this cake right before you plan to serve it. You can prepare the batter in advance, pour it in the pan and refrigerate until you are ready to bake it, just add a few minutes to the cooking time.

Ingredients

• 6 eggs
  • 3/4 cup coconut flour
  • 2/3 cup yogurt (I used Greek vanilla yogurt)
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1 cup diced fresh apricots
  • 1 apricot, sliced for presentation
  • Powdered sugar, for dusting

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Spray a 9-inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
  3. Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer with double beaters, combine all ingredients together, except the diced fresh apricots. Let stand for a few minutes for the coconut flour to thicken up. Mix in the apricots with a wooden spoon or spatula.
  4. Spoon batter into the cake pan, spreading to the edges and smoothing the top.
  5. Arrange apricot slices on top of the batter.
  6. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  7. Allow cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before serving.
  8. After the cake has cooled slightly, dust with powdered sugar.
  9. Slice and serve with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
  10. Refrigerate any leftovers.

Comments

• KatieKatie says

Thanks Anita! It was fun to experiment with gluten free recipes, I will still share a few from time to time on the blog! 🙂

1. Cathy Mielke says

I know this was a lot of work and expense. My friend with celiac disease, who does not use the computer, appreciates the collection of recipes! Thanks, Katie.

• KatieKatie says

I’m glad someone does! 🙂 Unfortunately someone else was mighty critical of my recipes and my opinions about gluten free baking. To each their own, but I’m proud of what I shared on my blog, and I plan to share a few more gluten free recipes in the future.

2. Linda D Pomeroy says

I just read your comment about grocery stores not carrying what you are looking for and there is a reason for this. Most products at a big box store are GMO’s. We have CoOp stores that have nothing but organic products from fresh veggies, fruits, meats and personal hygiene products. I know you have to daughters and you might do some further investigation into GMO. You can go under 100 per cent organic to gather some info.

• KatieKatie says

I do not claim to be an organic cook or baker, that is not my food philosophy. I am an average middle class home cook who likes to bake from scratch, that is all. You are lucky to have so many organic and co-op stores available to you, but the fact is, in this country that is out of reach for many people due to cost and availability.

3. Linda D Pomeroy says

We don’t use sugar or milk products. Only use pink crystal salt. Flour is always raw coconut non processed. Coconut should be raw unprocessed and not melted down. Ice cream or whip cream… No
    I guess I could pass on some recipes.

• KatieKatie says

I’m sorry my gluten free recipes do not meet your standards, Linda. To each their own, but I think you may be confusing gluten free with paleo. Good luck to you, I hope you find a food blogger who matches your food philosophy, however it is quite clear that I do not.

4. says

This is a beautiful photo and it certainly looks delicious. I’m not gluten free but I do like to experiment also – our cooking/baking philosophy is similar. I would love to try this because it looks so darn delicious. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe and thoughts. I’ve pinned and shared.

Joanne

• KatieKatie says

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Joanne! I love to bake from scratch, and trying some gluten free baking was a fun challenge for me. This cake had a wonderful texture, and the apricot flavor really shined through.

5. says

I might be obsessed with this cake. It sounds delicious and looks so good! I will definitely be trying this 🙂

• KatieKatie says

Thanks, Rene! I found those amazing fresh apricots and I just had to bake with them!!

Trackbacks

1. […] recipes are delicious! Trust me, I’ve made a few.  One that I am dying to try is her coconut apricot cake.  I love following her blog because she is always coming up with new ideas and themes. […]