When I started this food blogging gig, it came at a time in my life when I was having a bit of an identity crisis. For eight years I defined myself by my teaching career, then suddenly, that was over. Now I was a mom to a toddler and a newborn, too sleep deprived and knee deep in diapers and bottles to give my NEW identify much thought.
Being in the kitchen always came naturally to me, and it’s a place I enjoyed. I read recipes, but never followed them. I always wanted to create something that was ‘mine’, adding a dash of this and a sprinkle of that. Whenever I made something new my husband said, “This is good! Did you write it down?” Uh, no, I didn’t. But NOW, as a food blogger, I do! 😀
I had no idea a ‘food blogger’ even existed until about a year ago. Even then, I only followed a few. I was a late bloomer to social media, I didn’t even have a personal Facebook account until 2011!! But I found myself sharing recipes and food photos a lot on my personal page, and friends and family were starting to take notice.
When I decided to take the food blogging plunge, I started with recipes that were familiar to me: my favorite cookies, cakes, pies and candies. Then I photographed them on my kitchen table. At night. I know, I know, natural light be damned, I didn’t have time to bake and photograph my creations during the day. Only recently have I discovered that natural light is a food photographer’s best friend. Since everything I bake is soooo delicious, I owe it to the food to make it look it’s best, don’t ya think? (wink, wink)
So after arranging these blueberries and pistachios for a good 2 minutes and 45 seconds, I bring you my favorite food photos thus far, Blueberry + Pistachio Muffins. They are gluten and dairy free, toddler and husband approved, and booootiful to boot! Muffin to it, baby! Enjoy! 🙂
This recipe is gluten and dairy free. It was tested using honey and sugar, but you may use all honey. You could easily adapt these muffins with other fruits and nuts.
- 3/4 cup coconut flour (I used the Bob's Red Mill brand)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup pistachios, shelled and chopped
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin tin with muffin cups or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix all dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer with double beaters, beat eggs, coconut oil, honey, sugar and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Let sit for 3-5 minutes or until coconut flour has absorbed the liquid.
- Fill each muffin tin 3/4 full of batter.
- Press four blueberries into each muffin.
- Sprinkle with pistachios and press into each muffin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Let muffins cool before serving.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Recipe adapted from The Coconut Mama