My kids go through a carton of strawberries like it’s a box of candy, they can’t get enough! They will eat them straight off the stem, but I love to incorporate them into summer salads and desserts. Strawberry + Basil Scones are the perfect way to kick off summer this Memorial Day weekend!
You don’t need many utensils to make the dough, just a bowl, a wooden spoon and your hands! I roughly chopped some fresh strawberries and basil, folded them into the dough, sprinkled the scones with sugar and baked them until golden brown. The fragrant basil + butter smell wafting through my kitchen was AMAZING! Serve these Strawberry + Basil Scones to anyone you love berry much and they’ll be singing your baking praises all summer long! Enjoy! 🙂
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 2 TBSP basil, chopped or torn
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or cream + 2 TBSP for brushing dough
- Sparkling (or granulated) sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or your hands, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gently toss in fresh strawberries and basil.
- Make a well in center of the flour mixture. Set aside.
- Add eggs and half and half or cream to the well. Use a fork to beat eggs slightly.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix to combine. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Turn dough out onto a generously floured surface.
- Knead dough a few times.
- Transfer to a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Pat dough into a 3/4 inch thick circle.
- Cut circle into 12 wedges and pull apart slightly.
- Brush wedges with additional half-and-half and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake about 14-16 minutes or until slightly browned on top.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate any leftover scones.
Source: Better Homes and Gardens
Like this recipe? Check out these delicious strawberry summer desserts!