Alright, I’m gonna go there. TEQUILA. It’s my second favorite boozy beverage. After wine, I love me a glass of Chardonnay. I’m also gonna go here. GRAPEFRUIT. I ate one every day while I was pregnant with each of my daughters, but rarely have eaten one since lol. Just to be clear, I’m not recommending the tequila + grapefruit combo if you are pregnant, but otherwise, it’s a fabulous pairing. It’s BOLD, it’s SAUCY, it’s ZESTY, dare I say, even a little RISQUE. Hey you, little tart, yeah, the short, round one on the right, no, THE RIGHT, that’s it, the grapefruit muffin with tequila glaze, I’m talking to you!!!
These muffins use the juice and zest of the grapefruit in the batter and glaze. While we’re on the topic of zest, I LOVE citrus zest, it’s so flavorful and gives a boost to just about any recipe. These Grapefruit Muffins + Tequila Glaze are an exquisite mouthful of grapefruit paradise for breakfast, brunch or even alongside a cup of tea. Enjoy! 🙂
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 TBSP grapefruit zest
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (I recommend using 2% milkfat)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 TBSP fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 TBSP fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 TBSP tequila
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a mini muffin tin with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or a hand mixer with double beaters, combine the sugar and grapefruit zest on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the eggs and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk, butter, grapefruit juice and vanilla, beat an additional 2 minutes.
- Add half the dry ingredients, mix until incorporated.
- Scrape down the bowl with a spatula, add the remaining dry mixture, mix until incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins, filling each one about halfway.
- Bake for 20 - 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool slightly on a cooling rack while you make the glaze.
- In a medium bowl add the powdered sugar, grapefruit juice and tequila and whisk together until the glaze is smooth and folds back over itself like a ribbon when you lift the whisk from the bowl. If the glaze is too thick, add more grapefruit juice, one teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Drizzle over muffins with a spoon and allow to set. Store at room temperature.