I remember thinking that when I became a stay at home mom my house would be spotlessly clean, my closets perfectly organized and my flower beds weed free. Bahahahaha. Oh how idealistic and naive I used to be. The thing is, when you are home all the time, you are constantly undoing any cleaning or organizing that may have happened the day (or the hour) before. I can pretend like it REALLY bothers me, but let’s be honest. I’d much rather be having a tea party than cleaning my house, taking daily trips to the park than organizing my closets or blowing bubbles in the backyard than weeding my garden. Hey, you’re only young once, right?
After spending a long day with the kids the last thing I want to do is make an elaborate meal. Which is why I love super simple dishes like this Cheesy Chicken Casserole for a quick weeknight dinner. Chicken, mushrooms, onions and garlic tossed with brown and wild rice and smothered in gooey cheese, this is a crowd pleasing recipe for sure! Serve it up with a salad or a side of green veggies and you’ll have dinner in no time. Enjoy!
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 16 oz. pkg white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice
- **substitute 2 - 8.5 oz. prepared rice packets, such as Uncle Ben's Ready Rice Wild and Brown Rice Medley if you don't want to make rice from scratch
- 1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (set aside 3 TBSP to sprinkle on top of casserole)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken cubes with salt and pepper and cook until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, add one tablespoon of olive oil and saute the mushrooms and onions until soft, about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add the cooked chicken, rice and both cheeses to the skillet.
- Toss to combine.
- Bake in an 8X8 square baking dish for 20 minutes, until cheese is golden and bubbly.